Sunday, November 14, 2021

Updating to bullseye

This weekend was spent updating most of the Pi's to the bullseye release. I've done all the easy to reach Pi's that are compute nodes and two of the support nodes. That leaves four compute nodes and one support node left.

The main bottleneck with the upgrades is having the compute nodes finish off all their work and the time to flash a micro SD card with the new image. I basically have one SD card ready to go and then the SD card that comes out of the Pi gets reflashed and used in the next one. I also gave them a clean.

I added another Pi3 into the cluster while I was at it. Marks Rpi Cluster now consists of:

5 x Pi3 as compute nodes
9 x Pi4 (8GB) as compute nodes
3 x Pi4 (2GB) as support nodes

The Einstein@home project have a 64 bit Gamma-ray Pulsar Search #5 app available for ARM computers. One of the users on the message boards was asking about it so I installed it on one of the Pi4's. Its looking like they are going to take 24 hours to complete but I won't know until its done.

There was an optimized app that one of the users with the username N30dg-ARM developed independently to the project, but he hasn't been on the forums for a couple of years so I think he lost interest. He also developed the optimized BRP4 app that I use. Neocortix (cloud service provider) offered to port the apps for free a couple of years ago but the project wasn't interested in ARM64 apps at the time, until Apple released the M1 Mac.



No comments: