Friday, March 23, 2018

Raspberry Pi3B+

The Raspberry Pi Foundation released a new Pi3, known as the Pi3 model B+.

Its a bit faster than the Pi3 so after reading a few reviews I decided to update my Pi cluster. I ordered 11 of them to replace my existing set of Pi3's. I asked for a discount seeing as I was buying 11. No dice so I placed the order anyway. A couple of hours after placing the order they gave me a quote with the price reduced by 50 cents. Great! I had already placed the order so couldn't change it.



And here is one out of its box the wrong way round so you can see what they look like upside-down. Pretty much the same as the Pi3 model B but a few differences.

1. The SoC (System on a Chip) has a metal heat-spreader.
2. The WiFi and Bluetooth module has a metal shield over it (the one with the Pi logo).
3. There are 4 pins for the PoE (Power over Ethernet) module that you can buy separately.



And here are the heatsinks. The box comes with 8 inside. Unfortunately I only had 5 left from last time so I used them all up.


At this point I have replaced 5 Pi3B's with the new Pi3B+ models. I am now waiting for more heatsinks to arrive.

Setup is the same as before. For the first one I applied the latest set of updates to the Pi3B and shut it down. I removed it from its official Pi3 case and put the new 3B+ into the case. I swapped the SD card from the old one to the new one, plugged it in and off it went.

For the other four I decided I would get the latest Stretch-lite image, released 13 Mar 2018, and clean installed them.


After all the great photos above here is a link to a really professional video of the Pi3B+https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=BRVT-JUn-vo

No comments: