Friday, October 6, 2023

7th of October

Marks Rpi Cluster is back to running 24/7. After a week of hot weather things cooled down enough to restart the cluster. Hot weather returned and forced a 2nd shut down for a few days but we're back online now.

The Einstein@home scheduler seems to have an issue giving most of my Pi4's work with responses of "No work is available" but the server status page shows 7k available. After a bit of digging I decided to set the first four Pi4's to use the project supplied app so I have a control group. They have no problem getting work so it looks like their scheduler doesn't like giving work for the optimized app.

Pi5 Cluster?
Given the recent release of the Pi5 I will look at replacing the cluster. I have already been in contact with Bitscope who make the Edge Cluster. They have a prototype that works with the Pi5. I don't know if they are available for purchase yet. Nor am I sure if one can reuse some of the existing cluster and simply swap out the Pi4's for Pi5's or if they need further changes. I asked when it would be available but didn't get a response.

I'm a bit annoyed the Pi5 came out when it did as I purchased a Pi4 (2GB), Flirc case and power supply to load balance network traffic two days before they announced the Pi5.

2 comments:

stfn said...

"simply swap out the Pi4's for Pi5's or if they need further changes"

From what I know so far, the Pis 5 have the same mounting holes spacing as the 4s, but they have a different port layout (ethernet and USB switched around), so if your cases go snuggly around the ports, they won't work. I have cluster cases for my Pis that don't have sides, so I will be able to switch the boards without changing the cases.

Mark G James said...

The cut-outs on the Edge Cluster 12 is one large rectangle that gives access to the USB and network ports so swapping the side the network port is on shouldn't cause any change.

Given the gpio pins are the same (which is how the Edge Cluster provides power to each Pi) they shouldn't need any change either. Its possible they may need to update the power circuitry to allow for the Pi5 using more juice.

I think the main issue would be cooling. There is a 30MM fan for each Pi which is controlled by the Edge Cluster. They may need to change how that works and possibly move up to larger fans but this is just speculation on my part.